How to Get Fresh! (after your workout)
Today I thought I would share some things I do to freshen up after my workout or run if I need to go somewhere right after and I am not able to take a shower.
I frequently find myself in this situation. I drive to where I am going to run very frequently because frankly, I can hardly stand to do some of the routes from my house any longer!! Anyway, my point is I am at a trail somewhere, super sweaty and stinky but still need to make some stops on the way home. I hate staying in my stinky, sweaty clothes and I just don't think I should subject others to that either!!
I am going to share some of the things I do to freshen up and be ready to go to eat or run errands, get coffee, whatever. I am not talking about when you are at the gym and have access and time to take a shower. I am talking about two situations today: when you are outside for your run and when you are at the gym but do not have time for a shower.
When I know I need to go somewhere right after my run and I don't want to be in sweaty, stinky clothes I try to always pack a small bag with a quick change of clothes in it-something simple that goes on easy-not spandex!!! We all know that getting on spandex while you are sweaty is no easy feat, especially if you are doing it in your car! At a minimum I bring bottoms. I can usually deal with a sweaty sports bra but not the bottoms.
I also keep the following things either in my car or in my bag that I brought with me:
1. Body wipes-I like to use these to wipe over all the stinky spots and a quick once over on the arms and legs as well as getting the salt off my face. I have been liking these lately: Babo Botanicals 3 in 1 Wipes Hydrating Wipes
2. Curel Hydra Therapy Wet Skin Moisturizer-I just recently started using this after reading about it in my Runners World magazine. My husband and I are loving it so far. You are supposed to have slightly wet skin when you use it so I use it right after the wipes.
3. Some sort of facial moisturizer with sunscreen. I live in Colorado so even in the winter you need some sunscreen on your face. I like this one right now.
4. Some plan for my hair. Most of the time I can get away with just a hat, a re-do of my ponytail or a braid. If my hair seems unusually sweaty or stinky I will use some dry shampoo on it. For my car I keep a travel one with me but at home there is a DIY one from 100percentpure website that is just cornstarch for light hair and a mixture with cocoa powder for darker hair-you can see it here:
I am using this one right now when in my car:
5. Lastly, I may need a slight bit of light make-up on my face to make me a little more presentable. I just use a little bit of tinted cream or cover up and some lip gloss usually. I am a bit obsessed with this under eye cream that can also be used as a light foundation from RMS. It is really light and does not bother my eyes which is a common problem for me which is why I don't wear much make-up ever. It is a tad on the expensive side at $36 for me, but you barely need any so it will last a long time.
That sums up what I do in the winter when I am out on a trail run or even a road run and need to be somewhere right after and would like to look and smell presentable.
For summer I do not do much different except that I do not need the Curel moisturizer for my arms and legs. I may or may not put on lotion but all of the rest would be the same. In the summer I sweat a bit more and don't like to take chances on being stinky so I will also include some sort of light spray/mist to smell good. I love Heavenly from Victoria's Secret but honestly, whatever little sample I have or got for Christmas will do usually.
Lastly, I will mention some things for the gym when you can't take a shower because you are in a hurry, or you just don't want to take a shower in public!
I do the same type things usually but when I am at the gym I am frequently there to swim so I like my goggle lines to be gone before I leave. If it is in the winter I go to the steam room right after getting out of the pool, in the summer I just sit out in the sun for 10 minutes or so before going in so that I get rid of those lines. I desperately need a little under eye cover up after swimming because I frequently get my goggles too tight and it looks like I have black eyes.
I also keep some after swim lotion in my bag to help with the chlorine smell and the dryness from the chlorine. I use this in the winter and summer.
I have been using this one for several years now.
I forgot to originally include this next one so I added after publishing the post but hopefully some of you will still see it. I always spray something in my hair after swimming so the chlorine smell isn't bad. I have been using this for several years and still haven't run out.
Not Your Mother's Beach Babe. It is a sea salt spray to supposedly give you that "beach hair" look. I just like the way it smells!
Well, that about sums it up. What do you do to freshen up and be public-ready after a sweaty run or workout when you can't get a shower? If you have other great ideas or products you use please share.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission on anything you purchase at no extra cost to you. All money generated by these links supports the cost of maintaining my website. Thank you in advance for helping keep my website up!